David A. Cushman logo  

The Modified Porter Bee Escape
An idea of mine that renders the device more reliable.

This modification has only been tried on the plastic version.

Normally this device is not very reliable and requires re-setting every time it is used.

  3rd Angle

The modification restricts and guides the bees along the central path through the escape.

The additional parts required are made from sheet plastic material between 1 mm and 1.6 mm thick. The type of material is not critical so long as some compatible glue is available (I have used solid styrene and fibreglass printed circuit material).

The small triangles should be cut to size... The precise shape will depend on your brand of porter escape.

The parts are coded blue for the top and grey for use on the bottom.

These triangular pieces are glued in position (I have used 'Evo Stik').

Let us examine how this works... There are several effects that improve performance and reliability. The bees trying to exit have edges to follow (See Bees will Follow an edge).

There is less room for the bees to attempt to climb over the springs so the risk of damage is reduced.

There is less of a gap, between the upper and lower plates, at the exit so that bees trying to return are less able to clog things up.

As the springs are better protected than in the standard version the lower damage results in greater reliability.

Perhaps one day a manufacturer will take on board this idea and modify their moulding tools to this new, more reliable profile.

  Modified Porter Escape

Written... Spring 2001, Revised... 05 April 2002, Upgraded... 20 September 2005,
This page has actually been validated by W3C Javascript Navigational elements removed as per W3C Link Checker version 4.1 (c) 1999-2004 Requirements
Escape favicon